Join us for an exciting year immersed in the wonderful world of jazz. Students will learn to read jazz charts and chord symbols and explore the art of improvising based on scales and harmonic centers.
- Jazz Blues & Beyond: for first-time jazz players who want to start at the beginning and build a solid foundation while learning to swing on Blues, Latin and Fusion tunes.
- Jazz Patterns: for students who have some jazz ensemble experience and are ready to develop their improvisational skills around simple chord progressions.
- Jazz Explorers: for students ready to branch out and explore a wider range of styles, meters and concepts.
- Jazz Express: for very experienced, advanced players ready to be challenged to step up to the next level.
- Jazz Voyage: for adults who want to develop their jazz chops or perhaps get back to it.
Ensemble days and times will be arranged to enable the formation of compatible groups. Each ensemble will meet for one hour a week (Advanced groups may opt for an hour and a half). Please indicate your availability on the registration form. We will call you to discuss which group is best for you. All students must be taking private lessons, except Jazz Express. Students not taking private lessons at JOMP are welcome! Please call or email Rich Ardizzone 508-856-9541 or email@example.com to arrange for a placement audition.
Joy of Music jazz ensembles play for many annual meetings and nonprofit fundraisers, including the Greater Worcester Community Foundation, Worcester Cultural Coalition, Worcester County Food Bank, Open Sky’s Safe Homes Program (supporting LGBTQ young people), stART on the Street, Habitat for Humanity’s ReStore, Children’s Friend Big Dipper Ice Cream Festival, and Taste of Shrewsbury Street.
Tuition: $700 ~ Quartets or more; $830 ~ Trios