JOMP Youth Orchestra (JYO)
The JOMP Youth Orchestra (JYO), one of the leading youth orchestras in the Worcester area, was started by the school as the JOMP Chamber Orchestra in 1997 with 8 students and its current director, Tim Terranella. Last year, JYO brought together 34 enthusiastic young musicians from 14 cities and towns in Central Massachusetts.
Conductor: Tim Terranella
Wednesday 6:45 - 8:15
Academic Year Tuition $550 LISTEN TO JYO PERFORMANCES
($275 - 2 payment option)
JYO celebrates its 15th anniversary this season with two Mechanics Hall performances: First Night Worcester on 12/31/12 and JOMP's Spring Gala on Wednesday, May 15, 2013.
While most JYO members take their private instrumental lessons at Joy of Music with members of our faculty, we welcome students who are studying outside the school in all of our classical and jazz ensembles. An audition is required for students not studying at JOMP, so we can get to know your playing and make a placement that is a good match for you.
Auditions for the 2013/2014 season will be scheduled over the summer and in early fall by appointment (JYO does not meet in the summer). Please call 508-856-9541 to set up an audition.
JYO members develop friendship and camaraderie as they prepare two programs for December and May performances in Mechanics Hall. Rehearsals focus on developing musicianship and ensemble skills and refining interpretation, intonation and sound. Sectionals are scheduled periodically within the regular rehearsal time. Recent programs have included:
- J. S. Bach Brandenburg Concertos Nos. 1, 2 and 4 and Concerto for Oboe & Violin in c minor;
- Bartok Rumanian Dances;
- Beethoven Egmont Overture;
- Bizet L’Arlesienne and Carmen Suites;
- Dvorak Slavonic Dances;
- Fauré Masques et Bergamasques;
- Haydn Symphony No. 104 in D;
- Mozart Overtures to Don Giovanni, Magic Flute and Abduction of Seraglio;
- Rossini Overture to the Barber of Seville;
- Saint-Saens Dance Bachanale from Samson and Delilah;
- Stravinsky Suite de Pulchinella;
- Vaughn Williams Suite of English Folk Songs; and
- Wagner Prelude to Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg.